An interdisciplinary journal on the interactions between agroecosystems and the environment
Aims & Scope
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment is a leading interdisciplinary forum that publishes research investigating all aspects of agroecological science. Our objective is to advance understanding of the patterns and processes governing agroecosystem functions, interactions with the environment and provision of ecosystem services. A central theme is how agriculture influences the environment and how changes in that environment impact agroecosystems.
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment publishes novel, high impact research conducted at various spatial scales - from experimental plots and field trials to farm-, agroecosystem- and landscape-level investigations - with preference given to hypothesis-based and/or data-rich investigations. We particularly encourage broadly significant studies of agroecosystems that deal with cross-scale interactions, bridge scientific disciplines or integrate new knowledge and perspectives relevant to agroecosystem management or agri-environmental policies. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment rarely publishes papers focused on the management of a specific agricultural system in a particular environmental setting unless the research produces new and compelling findings; therefore, submissions should be placed in an international and/or widely comparative context.
All manuscripts are initially screened on their topic suitability. AGEE's core subject-matter fields/topics include (but are not limited to):
• Mechanisms governing bio-physical features and functioning of agroecosystems (e.g., the biogeochemistry, ecology, and sustainability of agricultural systems)
• The interplay between agroecosystems and the environment (soil, air, and water) and the role of ecological processes in provision of ecosystem services
• Agroecosystems and their role in catalyzing/mitigating global change (climate change, greenhouse gases and biodiversity loss)
• Ecological consequences of land use intensification and other human impacts (soil degradation and erosion, water and waste management, and associated mitigation approaches)
• Environmental implications of agricultural land use and land use change (biodiversity conservation and land management, and ecological restoration and stewardship)
The following topics are discouraged unless they provide new information that complements AGEE's core subject-matter areas:
• Inventory and survey analysis (including life cycle and energy analysis)
• Impact assessment and environmental/compliance monitoring investigations
• Exclusively greenhouse- or laboratory-based studies
• Studies on the development of models or methodologies and pure model applications
• Studies that are purely agronomic, socio-economic, or political
Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment is a leading interdisciplinary forum that publishes research investigating all aspects of agroecological science. Our objective is to advance understanding of the patterns and processes governing agroecosystem functions, interactions with the environment and …
Article Publishing Charge for open access
This journal offers authors the option to publish their research via subscription (without Article Publishing Charge) or open access. To publish open access, a publication fee (APC) needs to be met by the author or research funder.